Are you looking to start a career in solar with one of America’s fastest-growing solar installers? Freedom Forever is looking for you, and we want you to ace your next interview. To set you up for success, here are some helpful tips that will show you exactly what we are looking for in an ideal job candidate.
Practice and prepare for your interview
We’re going to ask you questions about the skills and qualifications you have listed on your resume. Strong answers are those that are specific but concise. Be ready to showcase concrete examples and accomplishments that highlight your skills. Read the job description carefully and emphasize in your resume the skills and experience that match the aforementioned description.
Listen carefully to questions and have some questions of your own
You want to make sure you understand the question being asked. Don’t be afraid to ask for clarification if you are unsure of a question. Additionally, you can show the interviewer that you are genuinely interested in the position by having questions of your own. A great place to find interesting things to ask us is located on our company website, freeprodenv.wpengine.com. Our story can be found both in the About Us page, and on our blog.
Be prepared to answer questions about yourself such as:
- Tell us about yourself
- Why should we hire you rather than someone else?
- How would you describe your personality?
- What interests you about our products or services?
- What are your strengths/weaknesses?
- Do you consider yourself dependable? Why?
- How long do you see yourself staying with our company?
- Why did you leave your last job (never talk negatively about a previous employer)?
- What would your references say about you? May we contact them?
- What are your 3 biggest accomplishments?
- What are your short and long-term goals?
Make a connection with your interviewer
Make a point of knowing your interviewer’s name. If you are bad at names, write the interviewer’s name on a notepad and bring that to the interview with you. Remember to smile, the person you are interviewing with wants you to succeed!
Good questions to ask your interviewer
- Why is your company successful?
- Describe a typical workday for this position.
- What would you like done differently by the next person you hire?
- What are the greatest challenges in this position?
- How many people work in the department?
- How would you describe the management style here?
- What sort of traits or skills does your ideal candidate possess?
- Where do you see yourself in the next 3 years?
- Are there any opportunities for advancement or upwards mobility?
Do some research on Freedom Forever
Learn about who we are so you can demonstrate that you are interested in the company. Think about the position you’re applying for and be ready to speak on how some of your unique skills and qualifications could be of benefit to the company.
Author’s note: For example, when I applied for a content writer position at Freedom Forever, I researched the company website. What I found suggested to me that one of my unique skills, Search Engine Optimization, could be beneficial to the company even though it wasn’t listed in the job description. That lead to a very productive conversation during my interview that helped me land my job here at Freedom Forever.
Prepare for your interview ahead of time
Pick out the clothes you will wear for your interview ahead of time. Avoid excessive perfumes/colognes, jewelry, or loud accessories. The best colors for an interview are neutral colors such as grey, black, navy, etc.
Create a reference sheet that contains the names, addresses, and phone numbers of your previous place of employment and any other people you are providing as references. Don’t smoke or use your cell phone before or during the interview. Additionally, we recommend you mute your cell phone before heading into the interview.
Finish your interview by asking for the job!
Studies show that asking for the job can increase your chances of being hired by more than 50%! At the conclusion of the interview, be prepared to say something like “I’m impressed by your company and the people I’ve met today and this seems like a great opportunity. I would definitely want the job. What is the next step?”
Avoid these interview cliches!
There are some things that have been said so often in interviews that are cliche. You want to avoid these so you can come across as genuine and authentic.
Clichés to avoid:
- I’m a quick learner (sounds like you don’t know things)
- I’m a people person (so common that it becomes meaningless)
- If you’ll just give me a chance (sounds desperate)
- To be honest with you (you should already be honest)
5 Interview do’s that help you come across as genuine and authentic:
- Listen attentively
- Make eye contact
- Maintain an open posture
- Ask for the job!
5 Interview don’ts that can hurt your chances:
- Look at your watch
- Discuss money
- Speak negatively of past employers
- Answer questions with a simple “yes” or “no”
- Fold your arms
Most important of all: Remember, we want you to succeed!
At Freedom Forever, leadership through service is at the very core of who we are and why we are successful. The goal of the Talent Acquisition Team is to serve you by setting you up to ace your interview. Remember, if there’s any way we can help you prepare for a successful interview, ask us! We are here for you and we look forward to working with you.