Just because Washington, D.C. is not an official state doesn’t mean it’s falling behind when it comes to supporting solar energy. Our nation’s capital has a combination of municipal and federal programs that support homeowners who want to switch to solar power to 1) pay less on their energy bills, 2) earn generous tax credits, and 3) support a cleaner, healthier, and safer environment for everyone.
If you’re a Washington, D.C. homeowner wondering if solar makes sense in Washington D.C, here’s what you need to know.
Benefits and incentives that make solar make sense in Washington, D.C.
If you’re wondering how much money you can save with solar power-generated electricity for your home, look no further:
· Washington, D.C. net metering is a program that credits you for the extra electricity your system produces: at the times you need it, you can draw on those credits to pay your energy bill. Check with your utility for specifics, here are the incentives that Pepco offers.
· Solar Renewable Energy Credits (SRECs) pay credits to reward your effort to help Washington, D.C. meet its energy sourcing goals. 1 SREC is produced per megawatt-hour of production, which you can sell in the SREC market.
· Solar Advantage Plus Program allows eligible low-income residents to receive up to a $10,000 grant to cover the full cost of a 3-4 kW home solar energy system. This is not a leasing program, it allows full ownership of the installed system.
· Solar Energy System and Cogeneration System Personal Property Tax Credit eliminate any additional property tax that would accrue from the increased value of your home based on solar installation.
· Federal solar tax credit (also called Investment Tax Credit) pays you back for going solar: you earn a deduction of 26% of the cost of your solar installation from your federal tax bill.
You should contact a qualified tax expert and consult with them. Neither Freedom Forever’s family of independent authorized dealers nor Freedom Forever itself can give you tax advice. A qualified tax professional will understand your situation and be able to give you the most relevant advice.
Washington, D.C. has set a goal to produce 5% of its electricity from solar resources by 2032, so expect more incentives in the coming years. Consult with your solar power dealer to learn all the potential ways you could save money by going solar in the District of Columbia.
Is Solar worth it in Washington, D.C.?
Over the course of a year, Washington, D.C. averages 5+ kWh per square meter of solar energy each day. You don’t need to live in the desert to make solar work: that amount of sunlight is more than enough to power the average local home.
Your solar installation can be optimized according to several factors, including shading, panel location, orientation, angle, and more. Combined with the city’s commitment to solar electricity, it’s safe to say that solar power is worth it in Washington, D.C.
Clean, sustainable energy is an important benefit of solar power
Another reason solar power is receiving support from government leadership is that it’s helping homeowners to:
· Reduce local greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
· Shrink their carbon footprint
· Decrease fossil fuel dependence
· Support reduced local emissions and improved community health
The shift to cleaner, safer, and more sustainable energy for homes is helping make communities healthier and more livable. Environmental benefits are important, and they’re another reason that making the switch to solar is so popular in Washington, D.C.
Get an Analysis and Quote for Solar Power in Your Washington, D.C. Home
Contact Freedom Forever today if you’d like more information about the potential benefits of switching to solar, including a FREE quote for service. Thousands of homes in Washington, D.C. are saving money and supporting sustainability by changing over to solar power – you can, too. Freedom Forever makes solar make sense in Washington D.C. with our 25-year performance guarantee. Imagine 25 years of worry-free solar power and freedom from high electric bills.